Online Piracy and Why It’s Illegal

Getting Compensation If You Are Involved in a Car Accident With an Uninsured Driver

Having a car accident can be a difficult experience. You may have been injured in the accident and your car may be beyond repair. This can lead to lost wages and stress thinking about how to support your family. The situation becomes harder when the other driver in the accident is uninsured making it harder to get compensation from them if they were at fault.

Can you still get compensation if you were involved in a car accident and the other driver is uninsured? Yes, there are ways to still get compensation and a car accident lawyer can help you sort through your options. Here are just a few ways you could get compensation.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

It's possible to receive compensation after an accident using your own car insurance coverage. If you are able to prove the other driver was at fault for the accident and you have opted to get an add-on known as uninsured motorist coverage on your own insurance, you could be compensated for the accident.

Your car accident lawyer can help you gather the evidence you need to prove to your own insurance company that the other driver was at fault and they are uninsured. This can include dashcam footage from your own car or passing cars, security camera footage, and witness statements. The police report can go a long way as well to helping you gain compensation from the accident.

There are some states that require each driver to carry uninsured motorist coverage, but other states do not. You can check with your insurance company to see if they offer it or if it's a requirement in your state.

The Other Driver's Assets

In some cases, it's possible to sue an uninsured driver for compensation in a car accident if they have other assets from which they could potentially pay a settlement claim. This could include their house, vacation property, or secondary vehicle that is worth more or at least as much as what you would be entitled to receive.

A car accident lawyer could advise you to sue if your injuries were substantial enough to warrant it. For example, you will be off work for an indefinite period due to your injuries, or perhaps you won't be able to work again.

Your insurance company may also attempt to sue an uninsured driver to recoup the payments they give you, in the case that the other driver has sufficient assets for the insurance company to recoup their payments.

This isn't always an option; it's mostly only done if your injuries were severe and the other driver has the assets available.

For more information, reach out to a firm such as Brooks Law Group.