Online Piracy and Why It’s Illegal

Be Prepared: 4 Family Law Documents You Need To Carry With You At All Times

If you've been through a contentious custody battle, there are certain documents you need to keep on you at all times. Copies of these same documents should also be included in your children's official school records, or with their childcare providers. These documents will be essential should an emergency arise. Read the list provided below. Here are the four documents you should never leave home without. If you don't have copies of these documents, you need to talk to your family law attorney right away. 

Custody Orders

If you were awarded sole legal and physical custody of your children, you need to keep the documents on hand at all times. You never know when a custody dispute will arise. Unfortunately, if you don't have proof of the custody orders, you may not be able to get the assistance you need from law enforcement in an emergency. This is especially true if the non-custodial parent has already taken your children. To make sure you have the proof you need in an emergency, always carry a copy of the custody orders with you. 

Protective Orders

If you have protective orders against the non-custodial parent, keep a copy of the orders with you at all times. Protective orders are maintained in a database, but those records can take some time to access. Unfortunately, you don't always have a lot of time in an emergency situation. That's why it's important that you have a copy of the protective order in your possession. 

Guardianship Papers

If you have sole custody of your children and you've designated a guardian for them, you should carry a copy of the papers with you. If something should happen to you, your loved ones might not be able to track down those papers right away. You need to make sure that your children are placed with their guardians as soon as possible. When you carry those guardianship papers with you, your loved ones can take care of your children in a timely manner. 

Travel Restriction Papers

Finally, if the non-custodial parent of your children has travel restrictions attached to their visitation orders, be sure to keep a copy of those papers in an easily accessible location. Your ex may be honoring the visitation orders right now. But, that doesn't mean that will always be the case. Should your ex try to leave the country with your children, you'll need to be able to provide documentation immediately. Keeping a copy of those papers with you at all times will allow you to do that.

To learn more, contact a family attorney.