Online Piracy and Why It’s Illegal

Three Ways To Get Rid Of A Judgment Quickly

In a civil case, a court can issue a judgment against one or both parties. The most common judgment involves the losing party paying money to the prevailing party. Usually, there is a set time for repayment. No matter the reason for a judgment against a person, there is one thing for sure: most people don't want to deal with something like this. There are several ways an individual can go about getting rid of a judgment. Some methods are easier than others, and some take more time and the assistance of a qualified attorney to help you get rid of the judgment. The following are the three most popular ways to get rid of a judgment.

Fight the Decision in Court

If the judgment was issued by default, meaning you did not show up to present a defense, you may be able to have the judgment reversed. In addition, if you feel the judgment was unfair or you have new information that could cause a judge to reverse a judgment, you should most definitely speak with your lawyer and go back to court. If you have new evidence or a valid excuse for not showing up to court when the initial judgment was entered against you, you can have the judgment completely reversed and walk away without this debt hanging over your head. It is important to work closely with your attorney and provide every bit of information you have so you can present a solid case to the judge. 

Attempt to Have the Amount of the Judgment Reduced

If you have a compelling argument as to why the judgment should be less than the judge ordered, or if you have special circumstances that will cause you to be unable to satisfy the judgment in a timely manner, you may be able to have the judgment reduced. As with the reversal discussed above, you need to contact your attorney and provide every piece of evidence you can find. This will help your attorney petition the judge for a reduction in the amount you owe.

Scrape Together Extra Funds to Wipe Out the Judgment

When all else fails and you can't get the judgment reduced or reversed, the best thing to do is buckle down and pay it off. Courts are less lenient on payment of judgments than banks are on repayment of loans. A judgment is typically due in one lump sum; an unpaid judgment can result in another lawsuit, garnishment of wages and tax returns and a bunch of other hassles you don't want. If you can, take out a signature loan to pay the judgment in a lump sum, then make monthly payments on the loan to the bank. You can also pick up a part-time job or sell unwanted belongings to help you satisfy the judgment and get that off your mind.